The Summer ’18 release delivers more personalized and integrated customer journeys while enabling your team to work smarter with new levels of data insight across your org.
- How to Use the Release Notes
Our release notes offer brief, high-level descriptions of enhancements and new features. We include setup information, tips to help you get started, and best practices to ensure your continued success.
- How and When Do Features Become Available?
Some features in Summer ’18 affect all users immediately after the release goes live. Consider communicating these changes to your users beforehand so that they’re prepared. Other features require direct action by an administrator before users can benefit from the new functionality.
- Supported Browsers
We’ve made some changes to our supported browsers documentation, making it easier to find what you need. Supported browsers for Salesforce vary depending on whether you use Salesforce Classic or Lightning Experience.
- Salesforce Overall: Improved Productivity in Lightning Experience with More Ways to Discover, Adopt, and Personalize
- Lightning Experience: A Modern and Intelligent User Experience
Lightning Experience is a completely reimagined interface. Even better, it’s built on our UI platform, so the experience can grow and evolve with your needs. Check out the new features and considerations in this release.
- Essentials: Sales and Service for Small Business
Are you ready to take your small business to new heights? With Salesforce Lightning Essentials, you can easily manage your business’ sales and service needs in one place. Grow lightning fast and help customers succeed with Sales and Service Lightning Essentials.
- Salesforce Einstein: Forecasting, Bots, Discovery Recommendations, and Other Genius Enhancements
We’re giving you more out-of-the-box and custom AI features to help you get the most from the world’s smartest CRM. Here are the newest ways that Einstein helps you predict what’s going to happen next in your business and know what next steps to take.
- Sales: Intelligent Forecasting, Improved Campaign Management, and Lightning Dialer Enhancements
Get smarter with Einstein Forecasting, now generally available. Control access to campaign members, and add them by account. Improve your reps’ performance with Lightning Dialer features and other tools.
- Service: Einstein Bots, Lightning Guided Engagement, and Field Service in Lightning Communities
Ease your team’s workload by building Einstein Bots to deflect routine cases like password requests. Use Lightning Guided Engagement to guide your agents through multi-step actions, like call scripts, with an ordered list of flows right inside the console. You can even use Lightning Guided Engagement with Live Agent chats. Take advantage of robust field service features like Snap-ins Appointment Management (beta), full Lightning community support, and an optimization tool to handle schedule disruptions. Enjoy more choices in how to route work items to agents with Skills-Based Routing for Omni-Channel and External Routing for Omni-Channel. Use translation management features in Lightning Knowledge, including side-by-side comparisons, smart links for translated articles, and the Lightning Knowledge Migration Tool. Finally, manage cases more efficiently with case teams and email drafts.
- Analytics: Reports and Dashboards and Einstein Analytics
On the Reports and Dashboards side, this release brings the Lightning Experience report builder, now generally available, Lightning Experience joined reports (beta), enhanced subscriptions, and much more. For Einstein Analytics, Einstein Discovery recommendations in Salesforce objects is now generally available, conditional formatting in dashboards is here, as well as many other new features.
- Communities: Pre-Built Themes, Sharing Sets for Everyone, Pinned Posts, and Closed Threads
The Community Cloud makes waves this summer with fabulous new features. We’re excited to introduce ready-made themes in Community Builder, so you can change the look and feel of your community with a few clicks. We also expanded support for sharing sets, now available to Customer Community Plus and Partner Community users. Add some exciting new features on feeds, such as pinning posts and closing threads. Who needs a summer vacation when there’s so much fun in your community?
- Chatter: Trailhead Badges on User Profiles, Record Links in Posts and Comments, Pinned Posts and Community Streams Generally Available
Your users can now see earned Trailhead badges on their profile pages. You can link to any type of record that is available in your org from a post or comment. Pinned posts and cross-community streams are now generally available.
- Files: Library Management Updates, Topics on Files, and Quip Lightning Component
A smoother files workflow is here. Manage libraries right from Lightning Experience, including the power to update membership and delete empty libraries. Pop the Quip Lightning component onto records to let your users access Quip right from the record. Curate your files with topics, and find recently viewed files in a jiffy in the recent files dropdown.
- Mobile: Do More on the Go
The Salesforce mobile apps help your users stay productive on the go. We added Chatter enhancements, email notifications for cases, and subjects for tasks and events, just to name a few.
- Financial Services Cloud: Person Accounts Enhancements, Customized Group Relationship Views, Opportunity Rollups, and Salesforce Inbox and Pardot Compatibility
View consolidated, customizable client profiles with person accounts—now certified for use on Salesforce mobile, Advisor Analytics, and partner and customer communities. Show key customer relationships with enhanced group relationship views. Enhanced rollups let users quickly take action and win opportunities from the Primary Group view. Boost advisor and banker productivity in Financial Services Cloud with Salesforce Inbox and Pardot. And there’s lots more, including a Teller Access permission set and usability and accessibility enhancements.
- Health Cloud: More Modular, Easier EHR Integration, Field Service Lightning Support
Health Cloud now supports Field Service Lightning, and you can choose from a variety of out-of-the-box ways to send and receive electronic health records (EHR) data using the HL7 v2 standard.
- Customization: More Genius via Clicks, External Services and Time Fields Generally Available, Improved Error Handling
Customize your way to a smarter org with the new Einstein Next Best Action pilot. We’ve taken several features from pilot or beta to generally available: External Services, custom time fields, Lightning components as flow actions, and flow stages. If you frequently use Lightning pages, processes, or flows, enjoy improved error handling.
- Security and Identity: New Verification and Login Methods, Health Check Enhancements, and Easier My Domain Management
You can now control how long ID tokens and verification links are valid and let your customers log in using verification codes. Assess your Health Check score at a glance with a grade. Rename your subdomain without contacting Salesforce Customer Support.
- Salesforce IoT: Troubleshoot Orchestrations with Trackers, Monitor Orchestrations with Activity Log
Use Salesforce IoT Explorer Edition to process events from connected devices in near real time and create meaningful interactions with your customers. This release includes a new Tracker feature to help you troubleshoot issues with new orchestrations. It also includes an Activity Log for monitoring live orchestrations to make sure that everything is working right.
- Development: Creating Your Own Salesforce App
More intelligence, new and improved components and APIs, and sweet tools for development. Whether you’re using Lightning components, Visualforce, Apex, or our APIs with your favorite programming language, these enhancements help you develop amazing applications, integrations, and packages.
- Marketing: Lightning Homepage, Google Analytics 360 Integration, and Other Features
Marketing Cloud is the premier platform for delighting customers with 1:1 customer journeys. It enables you to build a single view of your customer-leveraging data from any source, and plan and optimize unique customer journeys based on your business objectives. Deliver personalized content across every channel and device at precisely the right time, and measure the impact of each interaction on your business so you can optimize your approach in real time and deliver better results.
- Critical Updates
This release includes new critical updates for processes, flows, HTML-based email templates, and sandbox URLs. And we’re postponing a critical update for @AuraEnabled Apex controllers.
- Other Salesforce Products and Services
Share this post with friends and colleagues
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)